Follow by Email

Thursday, 24 August 2017

Nice day for people, rubbish for watching wildlife

Out for a pleasant afternoon walk with low expectations of anything interesting and as usual - I wasn't disappointed.

High pressure always allows migrants to fly straight through without needing to drop in to feed so who can blame them for taking advantage of it? For those of us looking for something interesting to report its another matter though.

Not even a star bird today! Warblers included a few Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler calling and at least one Goldcrest on the mineral line. A few House Martin still in the area and a good showing of late summer butterflies including Gatekeeper and Small Copper. Most noticeable though were the Dragonflies with both Brown Hawker and a few Common Darters on the wing.

Highlight of the day for me was being mistaken for a sexual predator by two nice ladies from Pelsall who had somehow lost there way (what with my back)? Nice that someone thinks I still have that much energy!

On a more serious note, I have been asked to mention the escaped Macaw that has been lost in Pelsall. I had seen the posters but suspect that it has gone in a  different direction to our sites (I am pretty sure that a Macaw would attract enough attention for someone to let me know).

I understand that the owners have posted a significant reward for anyone who can bring it safely home but unfortunately I have been told that the owner is being forced to take down the posters for fear of prosecution. If anyone has seen the bird let me know and I will do my best to see that the owners get to hear about it.

Anyway, that will be it for me until the weekend I expect (although when I start doing regular visits, someone else usually goes over for the first time in ten years and finds a mega-rarity so you never know)?

Enjoy your Friday - Chaz