Follow by Email

Thursday, 13 July 2017

Reluctantly, for me, autumn begins today

It may be a couple of days short of mid-month but I paid my first Marsh and Mere visit today, despite horrendous humidity that left me 'cream-crackered' after half a circuit. Lots for the Butterfly and wild flower enthusiast, not much for the birders.


Still a few Swift although most appeared to be passage birds on migration. my main reason  for visiting today was that Ray Fellows had indicated that the Common Tern were doing better than had previously been expected with up to seven birds (including juveniles) on show last week. Today however there was just one adult and one of this years juveniles.

A lot has changed since my last visit, most grasses and flowers are in my opinion several weeks ahead of normal with some plants going-over that would normally still be flowering in mid August.

Gatekeeper have started to replace Ringlet as the commonest butterfly species and there are a good number of Small/Essex Skippers, most of which were too fast moving to get good views of (although the ones I was able to see were all Small).

From this point on we can expect an increasing southward movement by our summer visitors and in another few weeks the first returning wildfowl of the winter, just six weeks of nuisance and litter dropping to contend with (sorry, I mean the school holidays).

Anyway - that was my first grumpy remark of the new season, got to start as you mean to go on don't you? - Chaz