Follow by Email

Friday, 21 April 2017

Two for the price of one! (Well, almost)

Common Whitethroat are not subtle migrants are they. Yesterday there were none this morning, 'Thump' - Whitethroats everywhere! I only did a partial circuit and found at least four birds just on the set aside. They don't mess about either, they were already displaying from song perches and one pair seems determined to evict one of our breeding pairs of Linnet.

More frustrating though was the 'Well Almost' bird. I had only just got onto the site and heard the unmistakable reeling of a Grasshopper Warbler. The bird was obviously distant and didn't sing again so I was unable to confirm its location although it was certainly singing from bramble along the Ford Brook. My feeling was that it was in the area between the Sewage farm and the Brook but by the time I got down there all I could find was..... a Whitethroat.


Still, at last stuff is arriving although the Whitethroats are two or three days later than their average arrival. I can't explain this as in some sites Whitethroat have been in early. Perhaps our birds take a different route or maybe the weather was just not right for that final push to the breeding sites?

Anyway - stuff happening so get over there! - Chaz